Select Page

Oldest Son called Tuesday evening, asking if he could come over and use the computer and do a little laundry. “If you can come and get us, I’ll bring the baby with me and we can spend the night,” he said.

Oh yeah – he’s smart. He knows how to get a ‘yes’ out of mom now that she’s a grandma… LOL

So I’m a pushover…so be it.

I noticed this time, that I’m always calling her “my little sweet pea”, so I guess for now, her name around here will be Sweet Pea.

She gave me a bit of a ‘deja vu’ this time, though. Didn’t scare me as bad as the first time it happened, but still…

You see, when Oldest Son was two weeks old, he scared the crapola out of his dad and I one morning. We woke up and both immediately realized that neither of us had gotten up in the middle of the night. I had put Oldest Son to bed about 7pm the night before, and here it was 7AM. Fear gripped our hearts and we stared at each other, paralyzed for a moment, sure that something was horribly, horribly wrong in Oldest Son’s room across the hall.

Now, mind you, we were both new parents, we were young (he was 22, I was 23) and we’d both been educated to the point of saturation about SIDS. That was the first thing each of us thought – but neither of us could say out loud. Neither one of us wanted to be the one to go check on him, fearing the worst, so we went together.

Oldest Son was fine, of course. Sleeping like the baby he was. He was soaked to the gills and needed not only a diaper change, but a sleeper and bedding change, too. But he was fine. And from that point, until sometime after his second birthday, he slept 12 hours at night, religiously.

Well, my little Sweet Pea did almost the same thing Tuesday night. She went to sleep about 10:30pm, and when I woke up at 6:30am to the alarm, she was still asleep and I realized she hadn’t woken me up in the middle of the night.

For a split second, I thought, “Oh God…no.” But she was breathing and beginning to wake up, too.

I went to make coffee and found Oldest Son still on the computer – he hadn’t been to sleep yet – so I asked him if he had heard her and fed her and let me sleep. He said he hadn’t…and was surprised that she had slept all night. He said she doesn’t do that at home.

Well, of course not. At home, she doesn’t get to sleep in Grandma’s bed! Duh!